We're Here To Help


   Email Us Now

Can I sign my spouse’s name to the paperwork?

Absolutely not, unless you have a properly drawn and executed durable power of attorney. Otherwise, it is a crime for you to do that and I cannot help you. We can make arrangements through the mail and so forth to obtain signatures of hard-to-obtain parties, though.

It is my understanding, however, that an attorney in fact cannot testify for the debtor who has had the attorney in fact sign the paperwork using the power of attorney. Someone signing by power of attorney must obtain court permission before the attorney in fact can testify at the meeting of creditors for the debtor.

  • Learn More About Bankruptcy

    If its time to start considering a step toward bankruptcy we're here to help. I have been helping people through the process of filing bankruptcy in South Carolina for over 20 years. We are here for you if you have questions.
  • Download Bankruptcy Guide

    This guide is full of useful information about bankruptcy. It's a large PDF so it may take a few seconds to download.
  • Can I go to Jail for not Paying my Bills?

    No, not unless you committed a crime in the creation of the debt (for example, fraud). Simply borrowing money and not being able to pay it back is not a crime. Many creditors representatives will tell you lies on the telephone and say that they will have you put in jail. Perhaps they are too ignorant to know they are wrong or that it is illegal for them even to say that. See More Bankruptcy Q&A